Saturday, February 6, 2010

Roller Disco Night: Go While You Still Can


Last weekend, we rolled back in time to a decade that was much more colorful than the current one. We went to the '70's to be precise. How did we get to that magical decade, you ask? By going with a group of friends to Roller Disco Night at a local skating rink.

Here in Silicon Valley, we have three roller rink options: San Jose Skate, Cal-Skate in Milpitas and Redwood Roller Rink in Redwood City. I had only ever been to San Jose Skate (a.k.a. Aloha Skate). My 3rd-grade birthday party was held there and someone -- you know who you are -- threw up in the car.

Last weekend, we ventured up the peninsula to Redwood Rink, which is truly a time capsule of another era. It has a wooden floor, bumpy in places. The DJ spins classic 70s songs like "Ladies Night". They have a divey snack bar. I laughed more watching my husband and friends roller skate in various disco costumes than I have in a long time. Ever so slowly, at very low speed, I shot the duck.

So if the photo of me in my Farrah Fawcett wig and pink satin jacket aren't inspiration enough to prompt you to go, read my full post about it here:

No comments: